“Fake it till you make it”
is a popular expression. Some people think it might help with confidence. They usually associate it to the moments when you step outside your comfort zone to do something new, you may not have done before
Instead, it causes insecurity, self-doubt, lack of confidence, anxiety and fear!
Discover in this article why you shouldn’t “Fake it till you make it“.
I find this rationale irrational and illogical for several reasons:
- First of all, “fake” has a negative meaning. So, you would start doing something new on a negative.
- Then, the message that you are saying to yourself is that you can’t do it. Therefore, you need to fake and or you might fail. This causes a lack of confidence, insecurity, self-doubt and anxiety.
- Also, when you do make it, on top of everything else, you might not know how or what you did to achieve it.
- Finally, you have to consider that this is not sustainable because you are in a constant fight or flight mode, constant stress and fear. You cannot carry on in the long term.
So, what can we do? I know very well that when we step outside our comfort zone there is fear. We get scared and that is perfectly normal.
There is an alternative to the “Fake it till you make it”. The alternative to this fear is to be true to yourself.
When you are true to yourself,
- First of all, you start your business with a positive because you are being you!
- Secondly, the message you send to yourself is that “I can do it, I have the skill and abilities to do it!”
- It also gives you clarity along the process of achieving your goal. In fact, you come to realise that you are very good at some things and perhaps you need help with others. That gives you the opportunity to either learn a new skill or to get help from people that will support you along the way.
- And when you make it, when you achieve your goal, you know exactly what you did to achieve it and how you did it. That is an amazing confidence boost for when you set your next goal, perhaps a bigger one this time!
So, the solution is to be yourself.
That’s all you need: to be yourself.
If you are stuck in the fake it side of the equation, if you think you can’t do it, you are very very scared and fearful then let’s have a chat. Get in touch with me for a 30-minutes free consultation.
And if you think this article will help others in the same situation, then please share it with them so they can benefit from it, too.
Be truthful to yourself, always!
- How to overcome self-sabotage and flip the coin to support
- Success Mindset: unbury what guided us since our birth
- Hypnotherapy for anxiety and panic attacks: a testimonial
Here’s a video version of this article: